Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What would you do?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    What would you do?

    Been having a lot of problems lately with an artificial knee joint I had done 8 years ago. I went to the Dr. and he told me I needed to have it replaced again. This would make the third time.

    My predicimant: Six days after I had it done the last time I had 2 pulmonary emboli, causing great pain and almost death. I have had 3 heart attacks since also. I have also been diagnosed recently with severe osteoporosis further complicating matters. My choices are 1. Let them open the knee up and see if they can do it. There is a big chance they can't because of the osteoporosis and the fact that there may not be enough bone surface in which case they could fuse the joint completely, leaving me unable to bend the knee. Or, they could amputate the leg above the knee leaving me in a real bad position. The amputation is a very real possibility.

    Sounds like a big decision for an old fart, but listen guys, I am only 50. What you you all do?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What would you do?

    If you've had 2 pulmonary emboli as a result of surgery, odds are it would happen again with any new surgeries. As you well know these are life threatening, and the treatment can be very harsh also.

    Is the joint itself failing completely?
    Is no action at all an option?

    If my only choices were a fused joint or amputation I'd choose amputation, assuming a good prosthetic was a possibility.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member plantsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2006
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What would you do?

    I hope you aren't serious in asking us...consult your docs and family. I wish you the best.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What would you do?

    No action is not a choice because the joint is failing also because of an infection. I know the risks of P.E.'s. Amputation is an option that my wife and I have discussed and have given it serious thought.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What would you do?

    With no action not being a choice, if it was me (just my opinion) I'd opt for going in with repair as the hope, but leaving amputation as a last resort. Depending on my ability to access good prosthetics, I'd probably skip the fusion option altogether as I feel it would be more disabling than amputation. Osteoporosis could cause even more problems in the future with a fused joint.

    I can see where you're coming from. It's a tough life-changing decision regardless of how much you think it over and how many medical and lay opinions you get.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What would you do?

    Well, you can't get much more disabled than I am now. I am on crutches with an immobilizer on the knee and currently taking iv antibiotics.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member SunTzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,434
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What would you do?

    First off PRAY to GOD for your advice . Ask for His help in making such a big decision about your life , not this forum . According to many on here you better not even have a procedure done in the U.S. or you'll be another statistic . I will put you in my prayers as well as our church's .
    Life is a grindstone . Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up , depends on what we are made of .

  8. #8
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: What would you do?

    You might want to search things around for yourself and see if you can find any other options. I know we aren't doctors, but sometimes it takes a while for the latest thing in meds to make it to our area.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •